google search

Custom Search

Friday, January 20, 2006

January Journal Quilt 2006



"Their Hearts Grew Four Sizes That Day"
January Journal Quilt

This month's Journal Quilt focuses on the birth of my best friend's baby, which brought back memories of my own daughter's birth13 years ago. When I saw the delivery room photos-- their very first family pictures--I was struck by the joy on their faces and by the similarity to our photos, and to the photos of every happy family upon the birth of a child. That intense joy, those overwhelming feelings of love and pride, mixed with wonder and disbelief-- that is really what connects us a"l.

I decided to demonstrate the "connectedness" using the family photos framed by linked hearts. The heart on she right is outlined in bright pink, which is Betsy's signature color, and filled with light blue to represent her son. My heart is outlined with neon green, one of my signature colors, and filled with pink to represent my daughter. I printed the family photos on cream colored fabric and cut them out with a pinking blade rotary cutter to make them look like old-fashioned photos.

I used the raggedy reverse applique technique, which I saw on Simply Quilts. I also used scattered seed beads in pink,
blush and perriwinkle blue to convey joy and add sparkle.

Next month, I'm considering doing a portrait quilt of my husband, focusing on his love of the outdoors--and his total misery upon being trapped inside all winter long!!!!!

13 comments:

DebbyMc said...

Oh, Beth, I love your quilt. The happiness on their faces is so universal in those birth photos we all have. What a loving friend you are to mark this happy occasion wiht such joy. I love the beads and the colors and the love that comes through in this piece. Great job! And I can't wait to see your DH's portrait next month! =-)
DebbyMc

Helen said...

This is great! I like the way you tie the two births together and very lovely colours

Kim said...

I really like the linked hearts, it's a great symbol for a strong friendship. Did you make two? I'd be torn with wanting to give it as a gift and keeping it for myself!

Debra Dixon said...

All cheery and happy and your choice of materials and techniques reinforce the feelings--great mix and match! (I always love your work anyway!)

jenclair said...

This documents two miricles - I believe every birth is a miricle and can remember the smiles on our faces when our daughters were born. A fitting subject for January, the birth of the new year.

I still plan to try the ragged reverse applique (which I, too, saw on Simply Quilts). The technique works perfectly for your content, layer on layer, and a "reveal" of another kind.

Marianne said...

What a pretty quilt to commemorate the birth of your friends as well as your daughters. The colors reflect the joyeus feelings well as do the hearts.

Becky said...

That looks so happy! I think you accomplished what you intended.

Pam said...

This is a great piece - will you keep it or pass on to the happy family as a memory of the special day? Love the raw edge techique and the beading detail

Sandra said...

I really enjoyed your title, borrowed from the grinch..nothing 'grinchy' about your quilt but it fits great. You did a good job in expressing the concept you wanted. The design, photos, and colors all work very well together. A wonderful piece.

Jen said...

A nice fabric collage, pretty sparkles (and a beautiful sentiment.) I like your choice of fabric, and your composition. Jen

Suze said...

very happy looking quilt piece, really gets the feeling of joy across.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful, Beth!
That is a marvelous subject... birth-days! You immortalized both of them beautifully in fabric.

Jules said...

This turned out great. It makes me want to do something like this with my own delivery room pictures.