google search

Custom Search

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

New words for the English Language

On Sunday, I was in charge of our church's Third Annual Chili Cook-Off for Charity. The event was a big success, but by the end of the event, I had an enormous headache and was drained of every last drop of energy. I went home and took to my bed with a cold washcloth on my head. I was asleep by 2:30 in the afternoon and didn't get up until 7:00 the next morning.

Looking back on this situation, I realize that I had worn myself out exactly as my friend Suzy would have done, and in fact, has done on countless occasions! (And I've teased her about it on countless occasions, too!) Hence the following addition to the English language, in Suzy's honor:

SUZIFIED: adjective or verb; the state or action of having driven oneself to the point of exhaustion and collapse.
Example: After the Chili Cook-Off, I was utterly suzified. -or- I really suzified myself by trying to run the Chili Cook-Off single-handedly.

A related word, also inspired by Suzy:

SUZIFICATION: noun; the result of having cleaned, purged and organized an area thoroughly, often to the point of leaving the organizer suzified.
Example: After the suzification of my sewing room, I was so suzified, I had to take a nap!

I welcome anyone who reads this to enjoy using these new words! Just remember, I am a professional writer, so I can make up words. Do not attempt this yourself, it could result in personal injury, or even death.

6 comments:

jenclair said...

Wonderful word, and I know lots of people to whom it applies. Not me, though. :( I rarely expend that much energy!

Anonymous said...

When I was a young girl, someone told me that "orange" had no rhyme. Feeling sorry for the poem-less word, I created "florange" - to hit someone over the head with a pillow.

I've been advocating the spread of this word for years - one can become quite suzified if one floranges too much.

Suze said...

Oh yeah...'suzified'...that explains what happens when I invite people over to the house...sigh...and I even have the right name to go with it...

Granny Fran said...

I can't wait to become suzified by floranging a lot. Do you think DH will enjoy it as much as I will. Oh dear, he may florange back and we will both become suzified.

Debra said...

I love this post!! It perfectly defines the feeling.. and I'll bet most of us have a friend we can associate with this syndrome.

Jules said...

I was suzified after we stayed up all night to "neutralize" our home to get it to sell. I am sure I will be suzified after the move, too.

As for florange, we do that a lot at my house.