google search

Custom Search

Monday, January 02, 2006



I have been working on my January Journal Quilt this weekend! I sketched, enlarged my sketch, transferred it to fabric and started my stitching. The technique I am using is a reverse raggedy applique technique I saw on Simply Quilts. The quilt artist on the show used 3 layers of fabric, but I am using 4.

As I mentioned before, I am inspired this month by the recent birth of my best friend's baby, Ian. In this month's quilt, I am trying to convey the love and connection between us and our families, and the joy of that moment when a child is born. I am also trying to show the differences between our families, yet how the common experiences of becoming parent tie us together. Although I am a writer by profession, this topic makes me feel quite inarticulate!

I do want this quilt to be a literal interpretation, so I printed out the delivery room photo of Betsy's family and of my family onto fabric, then cut them out with a wavy edge rotary cutter so they look like old photos.

I also cleaned up The Vortex (sewing room), but more on that later!

9 comments:

Pat/SWquilter said...

The vortex!! Love that description - and can relate totally. Even the seemingly simplest thing I do creates havoc in the sewing room(s) (actually my whole condo has become the sewing room - living alone can be scary!) - I've really got to get at least part of a left brain sometime in 2006.

jenclair said...

I caught that show and made a note to myself to try it. Yours is looking great, and I agree that there is nothing like the birth of a baby to steal all coherent thought and communitcation. And what a great topic to welcome in the New Year!

Oh, and I agree with Pat about "The Vortex" - perfect description of my own sewing room.

Deb Geyer said...

What an awesome start to your page. I love how you added in the photos.

DebbyMc said...

Oh! I LOVE the edge idea for new photos...wow, the wheels are spinning in my head...
Debby

Jen said...

Great idea for photo edges, and the journal page is shaping up nicely! Jen

Jules said...

What a beautiful start to your journal quilts. The reverse applique is really cool. Do you remember the name of the artist from Simply Quilts?

Pam said...

hmmm - I think this technique might be good for one of my tree journals - thanks for the inspiration...

Debra Dixon said...

Well, look at you go!

Sandra said...

I like the interlocking hearts...that says it all as far as relationship. And I found your site right after I emailed asking about it. I love your title...very fun.