google search

Custom Search

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Woman's Best Friend


I come from a long line of people who forget about common sense when confronted with a wet nose and wagging tail. My grandmother shared breakfast daily with her fox terrier, Snooky. Every morning MeMa dunked her donut in coffee, offered Snooky a bite, and then took a bite herself. Dunk, bite, bite, until the donut was gone.

My husband, Jeff, who had the pleasure of meeting both MeMa and Snooky, should have realized that I couldn’t remain dogless for long after our cocker spaniel died. Instead, he was surprised and furious when I committed the ultimate crime: bringing home an unauthorized puppy.

I can’t really blame him for not understanding. The problem stems from a fundamental difference between Jeff’s relatives and mine. My side of the family believes animals belong seated at the dinner table. Jeff’s family believes animals should be presented on a plate, medium rare with gravy on the side.

Our conflict began when I secretly began cruising the Frederick Humane Society the way some people cruise singles bars.

Like most women, I didn’t cruise alone. My friend, Mary, who was looking for Mr. Goodcat, accompanied me. After perusing the kitties, we rounded the corner to the doggy department and there she was, sixteen pounds of scrawny black and tan coonhound pup. Our eyes met, and I knew she could see deep into my soul.

“Look at those enormous paws -- this dog will be huge!” Mary exclaimed. “And your husband will freak,” she reminded me. But it was too late.

For those unfamiliar with the breed, a black and tan coonhound is a large, energetic, floppy-eared dog used for hunting raccoons, deer and bear. Picture Mickey Mouse’s dog, Pluto, sporting a Doberman’s paint scheme. A sensible suburbanite would have left the building immediately, dog-free, but as I’ve mentioned, I am not a sensible person.

“Jeff will fall in love as soon as he sees her,” I assured myself as I completed the adoption papers. If Jeff needed additional convincing, I theorized that a little bonus time in the marital bed would cure him.

The reality was somewhat different. Enraged, Jeff refused to even look at Sunny. He saw through my feminine ploys and stoically slept on the couch. Luckily, we love each other quite a bit, and four years later, he has almost reached the point of forgiving me for my transgression.

Despite her father’s antagonism, Sunny has grown into a good-natured 75-pound dog who loves everyone. At our house, burglars and escaped convicts would be greeted with the same joyous celebration as the president of MilkBone International.

I’ll admit I didn’t like Sunny much when she deposited a steamy, fragrant load in the back seat of my Honda Civic, or after she rolled in a rotting rabbit carcass. But overall, I’m looking forward to growing old with both Sunny and Jeff. And I’d share a donut with either one of them.

This column was originally published in the Frederick Gazette. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

7 comments:

Pat/SWquilter said...

Great column - I loved it! The first two cats I got after moving to Arizona had to be put to sleep within a month of each other - I had one of them 14 years, the other only 6. I lasted 10 days without a cat before I was calling "free kitten" ads in the Pennysaver (incidentally, don't ever believe that "free" part, Cali has cost me more than any other pet I've ever had!), and 2 months after I got Cali, I decided she needed a pet and headed for the Humane Society to get her a sibling. So I can relate to your need for another pet to share your life!

Debra Dixon said...

Wes had no intention of getting a Golden Retriever puppy when he went over to his neighbor's house to buy one for his retiring secretary. But, this one particular one, sat on his foot and looked him in the eye. The rest has been history! I've been told that dogs pick you and I believe it!

Fun story! Enjoyed your writing!

jenclair said...

Too funny! Our problem has been the opposite, my husband has brought home abandoned, sick and starving animals he's found on various "locations" (drilling sites, pumping units, storage tank locations) where they have been abandoned for such reasons as mange, heart worms (2 very expensive additions), and once a beautiful young boxer with heart worms and an undescended testicle that would eliminate him as breeding stock. Our vet loves us and gives discounts!

Guess who gets to make all the vet visits, keep them isolated, feed and care for them...

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it!!!! I am a mut-lover, but I adopted an unwanted, crooked-toothed papered poodle that my daughters call my 'mid-life crisis' I wanted a lap dog. I've had all these big ol' muts that ARE loveable, adorable and wouldn't trade 'em for the world, but I wanted a little thing that would sit in my lap and cuddle. My dh's only request: no yappy dogs... oops, sorry, hun... this is a yappy poodle, but I love her to pieces!!!! Thanks for sharing your column!

Micki said...

loved the story. we have had 3 dogs over the years. the first one we had for 2+ years and had to get rid of him. We had Gizmo for nine and a half years before he passed away. the 3rd we had for a year then had to give him away.

Rian said...

That is a great photo! I too am a dog lover. I go gaga over doggies. My husband gave me a puppy for my birthday four years ago. I would love to have two dogs, but my husband is of the "one is enough" persuasion. I can't imagine bringing an unauthorized puppy home.

Pam said...

I have to share my story - about 10 yrs ago I went to a friends house to drop something for their wedding. When I arrived there I was greeted by momma kitty and 4 babies 3 tabby and one little black qtpie... She bounced out to great me first and I knew she was going home with me right away... My parents were visiting from Ohio and when I arrive home dh promptly told me to take her back (we were already a 2 cat/1 dog house hold) The big cats hissed and the 90 lb dog hid behind me when she approached. DH told me if she stays her name is 'visitor'... Well she did stay and she followed me all over the house for the first few weeks b/c I was the only one who loved her - hince her name "Shadow" because I felt like I had a little black shadow following me... She has won Hubby's heart and the dog's too - her picture is posted on my journal page blog from jan 1st... She started my motto - Cats choose their owners - and if you love them they will come... Maybe I need to do a journal post on my girls...